Commercial buildings constantly have traffic coming through them, from workers to clients to owners and beyond. This in-and-out flow of people could put your business at risk if you do not have the right security measures in place. Door closers can effectively protect your building and lower your energy bills at the same time. Let’s take a look at the importance of automatic door closers for commercial buildings to find out if this door hardware is right for you.
What Are Automatic Door Closers?
Automatic door closers pull a door closed once someone goes through it. Some doors will naturally shut on their own because of the way they are installed or the pressure from wind outside, but there is no guarantee that those doors are closed when you want them to be. With an automatic door closer, you can rest assured that the doors going in and out of your commercial building will shut when not in use.
Benefits of Door Closers on Commercial Buildings
Door closers serve several purposes in a commercial building:
- By ensuring the doors stay shut, they reduce the energy bills for the building. There will be no excess air coming in or going out because a door was left open.
- Door closers keep a building secure. You can still have a keypad or other device to lock the door, but the closer will make sure that only the person entering the building has access. Once the door closes automatically, unwanted intruders will not be allowed in the building.
- Door closers control how quickly a door opens or shuts, preventing the door from flying open or slamming shut on a windy day. This creates a safer environment for your workers and puts less strain on the door itself.
- Most commercial doors are heavy and difficult to open without some assistance. A door closer acts as an aid for opening the door so people do not struggle to get out of the building.
- In the event of an emergency, a door closer can be pushed open to allow for a steady flow of traffic. You do not have to worry about employees being trapped in the building.
- Door closers create a better sense of security for people who enter the building, which improves the work environment as a whole.
How Much Do Commercial Door Closers Cost?
Automatic door closers range in price from $80 to $400, with some models priced well above $1,000. The prices vary based on the construction of the door closer and how much weight it can support. For instance, a door closer for a standard entry door would be less expensive than a closer for a large door used for truck access. The benefits of door closers greatly outweigh the cost in most instances, and you can find a product that suits your budget and your needs at the same time. The door hardware experts here at WR Hardware would be happy to assist you with this process.
Don’t want the gardening season to end? It doesn’t have to. With portable greenhouses, you can keep your plants warm and healthy well into the winter. Greenhouse gardening is a great opportunity to eat select vegetables outside of their normal growth season, and it protects your plants from the harsh temperature changes in the winter. Here is a look at how you can extend your gardening season with a winter-friendly greenhouses.
Assess the Site ahead of Time
Before you select a greenhouse for winter, you need to figure out where it is going to be. This is especially true if you have a small yard, patio or balcony with minimal room for a greenhouse. Measure the amount of space you have on the ground, as well as the available height if there are any trees or other structures in the way. Consider how the sunlight will hit the greenhouse throughout the day so you can find a design that accommodates the rays available. If you plan properly, you won’t get your heart set on greenhouses you cannot logically use on your property.
Choosing the Right Winter Greenhouses
There are several types of greenhouses to choose from, depending on the plants you want to grow and how much maintenance you want to have. Perhaps the most popular option is a cool greenhouse, which does not require any heat source. The greenhouse provides areas where plants can get direct sunlight, and they are insulated so that the interior temperatures still stay above 50 degrees in most climates. This is enough warmth to grow beets, cabbage, spinach, lettuce, cilantro, azalea flowers, pansies, and much more.
If you want to grow more than just cool weather plants, you will need a way to heat the greenhouse. Germination mats are commonly used to heat seed trays. These are small heating pads that will provide warmth for the seeds above them. Germination mats will not heat the entire greenhouse, but they can heat specific plants that need warmth to grow.
Another option is to bring an electric space heater into the greenhouse. Most people will use these only at night to save energy and reduce the risk of fire. You must be careful when using an electric heater, especially for a long period of time. You also need to make sure you have a way to power the heater. If you cannot get a power cord to the heater, you will need a different heating option.
You can use a heater powered by fuel, but fuel gets expensive. Some winter greenhouse gardeners create compost trenches in their greenhouses to generate heat naturally. Others put large barrels of water in the corners of the greenhouse because the water will get cold before the air does. Essentially, the water bucket becomes a sponge to absorb the cold and protect the plants. It only changes the overall temperature by a few degrees, but that can make a big difference in the winter months.
Consider all of your options, and you’re sure to find a winter-friendly greenhouse for your garden.